Monday, March 21, 2011

10 Ways to Gain Fans on Facebook (and Twitter followers too)

This is an article I wrote for one of my job applications. It was a small company but very promising. Their goals are the same as mine. The books they read are the same books I love to read. The thing that captured my interest the most is that they make their employees play Cash Flow! That's a game by Robert Kiyosaki, author of the book Rich Dad Poor Dad. I'll just write about that in another blog entry. I applied even if I know I wasn't qualified for the position, I knew very little about the job, but it's something I'd love to do even for the rest of my career life. I got accepted, but I didn't sign the contract. They wanted me in the company, but for a different position. I didn't take it. Anyway, I just wanted to share this article for those who might be interested.



Note: Most, if not all the information I have placed here come from various websites that resulted from my search in Google. Sources will be listed at the end of the article. I have inserted some of my own opinions as well. These formulas/ways on how to gain Facebook fans are not arranged in chronological order since I have not tried and tested most of them, so I’m not very sure how much each of these actually works.

  1. Like/Be friends with people or subjects of the same interest.
In this way, they can see your profile if you have made a comment or posted something on a certain fan page. It also helps if you post interesting comments on other people’s pages so that if their viewers like what you posted and becomes somehow curious about you, they will click your profile and would probably like you as well.

  1. Interact with your Facebook fans.
Fans would usually appreciate responses on the comments or posts they place on a fan page. They would most probably respond again in the future, and more likes and responses on a post would definitely show the post on User Feeds. It would also bring up the post on Google when someone searches about something related to it.

  1. Insert RSS feeds of your blog into your Facebook page.
By inserting RSS feeds from your blog or website into your Facebook fan page, every time a new update or entry is added in you blog or website, this will automatically appear on the Facebook page as well.

  1. Update the Facebook page regularly.
Placing updates on your Facebook page regularly, preferably some that are exclusive only to Facebook will maintain interest of current fans. They may share your post or link in their own pages or suggest it to friends. If the page is also regularly updated, it will continuously appear on fans’ User Feeds.

  1. Set up contests that would require people to become a fan of your Facebook page.
I have personally liked several fan pages which was at first not my interest, but eventually became interesting as well because of this reason. For example, a gadget store will ask you to place your best photo about a certain subject and the photo that gets the most “likes” will win a gadget. The people who have entered the contest will suggest this to their friends and will request them to like their photo, which will also require their friends to like the fan page first. It is a cycle that has been proven effective.

  1. Integrate the Facebook account with a Twitter account.
Gaining followers in Twitter is way easier that gaining fans on Facebook. Information placed on Twitter is also easier to spread out just by placing hash tags on interesting subjects or probably find a way to add in your information to become related to the current Trending Topics. Asking famous people or celebrities to re-tweet something is also easier and faster than asking them to do the same in Facebook. It is also proven that placing links on tweets going to your Facebook fan page will gain your page wuite a number of fans.

  1. Twiends.com or other similar websites.
Twiends.com is an amazing website which I only discovered upon researching about this subject matter. I never paid attention on how many Twitter followers I have however when I tried this, I gained more than 20 followers in under 5 minutes. That number I usually gain after several months on Twitter. The site also has a tool that can gain Facebook followers, I tried it for a couple of fan pages I administer and gathered more than 10 fans under 5 minutes. I checked the people who started becoming followers and fans and most of them seem to be real people and not computer-generated accounts. Twiends.com from what I understand about it is somehow also a social networking site, where you can place in your interests and people with the same interest appear on a page where you can click to like their fan page or follow their Twitter account. Your own page also appears on other people’s screens so they also get to like you. Liking a page also gains Twiends credits for someone and in turn gives other people credits when they like you. So it’s also like a cycle that just goes on as long as you also like other pages.

  1. Try to get a few popular people to share your page.
If you know someone influential, credible, a friend who has thousands of Facebook friends or Twitter followers or possibly a celebrity and get them to share your page, you are guaranteed to get a number of additional likes on your fan page. Some people just want to like what their “idol” likes; it is a very common attitude especially with social networking sites.

  1. Place links to share your website or blog entries in Facebook, Twitter, etc.
It is very important to place those buttons to click on for a site to be shared on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites. This makes it easier for people who find your site/blog interesting to share with their friends. It is also include a link to like your Facebook page. Some people would prefer liking you on Facebook so that everytime you have an update, it will appear on their User feeds and they no longer have to check your website all the time.

  1. Buy advertising space on Facebook.
This may be the most effective among all of the ways to gain Facebook fans, however will involve an extra cost. Ads on Facebook usually appear on pages of people who have a common interest with what your page is about. It is very visible and with a good picture and catchy caption, you are sure to gain fans.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment