Monday, March 21, 2011

Work to Live, Not Live to Work

For almost three months now, I've been searching for a full time job. I wouldn't consider myself as one of the unemployed because constantly, I have writing or blogging gigs, either professionally or unprofessionally which are all done part time. I actually have a choice of making home-based writing a full time job, but I would still prefer a normal out of the house job. Why?

I have two beautiful daughters, 2 and 3 years old. I love them so much and I want to spend time with them as much as I can. If I stick with these home based jobs, I can do that. However, the income for home based writing, although rewarding is not reliable. What I mean by that is, it's lucky when you find a company with an actual physical office who's willing to provide a home based job, but most of these jobs do not actually ask you to come to their office so you can sign a contract. If there will be times that there will be delays in pay or if they do not pay you at all, you actually do not have someone who you can talk to personally. Yes, you have their mobile numbers, email addresses, instant messengers, but still. This job is mainly based on trust, the way they would have to trust you in fulfilling your commitments with them.

With two kids born two years in a row, meaning they would start studying consecutively and for the next 20-something years I have tuition fees to pay every single year! Imagine that. I cannot imagine myself working until my hair falls out just because I have to get ready for enrollment season! This is one of the reasons why I decided to become a money machine.

I'll get a full time job that will allow me to exercise my ability of time management. If the contract says 9 hours each day including lunch break, then so be it. I do not sit around and do nothing during work hours. When I am given a task, I give it my best shot the first try so I don't have to do it over again. It saves time and energy. Some companies tell you that you'd have to go on overtime, and treat it like going the extra mile - they actually mean going overtime without pay. It's funny how some jobs are even advertised with statements like paid overtime, etc. First of all, by law, overtime MUST be paid. There are times that you would have to adjust with this law as an employee if you were given a task and you were not able to finish it on time. I personally think it's okay to go on unpaid overtime once in a while but not every single day and not very long hours. What's the point of my time management skills if I have to work late everyday?

I read this somewhere: "Work to live, not live to work." I believe in this. Time should be spent for work, self, family, prayer, etc. It shouldn't be all work. Stress kills. Stress will stop you from working your best.

Let me share to you one of my job application experiences:
I saw the ad on an online job ad listing and sent my resume, I got a call right away to go to their office for an interview. When I got there, I was given an exam. Honestly, the exam was difficult. In fact, it was one of the hardest exams I have ever taken as a job applicant. Luckily, I passed and got the chance to be interviewed right away. Two interviews and then I was told I got accepted. All of these within 2 or 3 hours. I left their office without a contract. I didn't sign the job offer. Why? First of all, the pay was extremely low. Their explanation is that they are a starting company and I am the very first person they accepted for that team. I am entitled to performance bonuses, etc but none of those "bonuses" written on paper. I was told that there is no definite schedule for as long as I come to work 8 or 9 in the morning everyday. I was also told that I could earn millions in a year if I do well. If this job was offered to me 2 or 3 years ago, I would have accepted immediately.

Just hearing the word "millions" makes me pick up my pen and sign right away. Not this time. I choose carefully jobs that I accept. Especially if it's full time. The pay is a very important part but that's not the only thing. The pay could be not as high as what I am demanding but the schedule must be good, precise, specific. Overtime is okay for as long as it is not every single day. Why is this? I have a family, I have part time jobs, I have other commitments. Besides, I believe in my ability. I am not worth "almost minimum wage". I do better than that. I am a performer. I work smart and hard. I am reliable, loyal, honest and I can be taught almost anything that the job requires, I can assure that I am a good learner.

So here's how I do it, a take it or leave it proposal to companies. I'll work my best and you won't regret hiring me. I give you what you want, and I will exceed your expectations, but you have to give me what I deserve.

So some people are telling me not to be choosy, beggars can't be choosers, etc. But still, I stand by my word.  I am being choosy because I want the perfect job. I have a terrible looking resume because of all the jobs listed down. The next full time job I will get has to last for years! I don't want to go into something I don't really like especially if I know that I wouldn't even last a month without getting bored.

Choosing a career to take at this age and stage of my life is not a very easy thing to do. It's like a "make it or break it" situation. So the only jobs I apply for are the jobs I really want, those I know I have the ability to excel at, and those that will surely make me last for several years, possibly decades. Lastly, I truly want to work to live. I do not want to spend the rest of my life dragging myself to work. I'm sure most of you have the same thoughts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment