Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jobs and Criminal Record

I found a very interesting article on Wikihow. So how do you really get a job when you have a criminal record? All the jobs I've ever had, including some of my home based freelancing writer jobs, required me to present either an NBI or Police Clearance.

As a student, I experienced visiting prisons here in the Philippines. There were also a few times I've been to the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (for non-criminal reasons) and I've seen prisoners waiting for their turn for their cases to be heard. 

I do not own this photo. Grabbed from http://fruitfulharvest.net No copyright infringement intended. 

I can't help but think on what happens next after they get through this. How do they live? How do they find jobs? It would probably be hard to convince their families that they have become better after serving their sentence, considering the situation in Philippine prisons, what more convincing companies to give them a job.

In one of my school's outreach programs (this was about 7 years ago), I got to talk with one of the prisoners in maximum security of the Bilibid Prison. He told me that while in prison, they are given a chance to study. Student prisoners actually have more benefits and he mentioned that they have more comfortable accommodation compared to others. 

Let's say they got education there so that when they get out they can find jobs, but how do they do that exactly? This article below contain tips and some words of encouragement too. Please share this to people you know who have records so that they have a second chance in life. Being an ex-convict shouldn't mean the end of the world to someone. They still have a chance to reach their dreams! That's why there's an "ex-" before convict because it's in the past. God forgives and we don't have the right to judge these people. 

Here's the link to the article: How To Get a Job with a Criminal Record

This video discusses about US law but can also serve as a guide, just an FYI:
How does a criminal record affect employment?


No comments:

Post a Comment