Monday, March 21, 2011

The True Meaning of Sacrifice

I posted this on my Tumblr site weeks ago. It was a day after one of those very memorable job applications. Please forgive the format and informality.

i’ve always thought that i’ve already sacrificed every possible thing i could for my loved ones. i was wrong. 
in my heart, i still held on to my dreams. the reason why i took up my course in college. something i’ve been dreaming to do since i was a kid. 
i took some time searching for jobs and for the first time in the history of my career life, i rejected job offers as much as i was rejected in jobs. 
yesterday, i applied in a big events and marketing company as a copywriter. it’s a dream job. i just tried to apply to see if i’ll make it. i had the mindset that if i don’t it’s fine since i know for a fact that creativity is not really my thing. i gave my best for the exam and the interview. surprisingly, i passed. 
i was told i’ll get called within a week, but on my way to the elevator the manager and someone from HR stopped me and told me to stay a few more minutes so they can discuss already. 
after several cold sweats and a whole lot of nail-biting for about 10 or 15 minutes, i was called to speak to the president/ceo of the company. imagine my nervousness. 
i came in to her office, she told me immediately that the manager thought i was good, possibly perfect for the job. i answered every exam and interview question with responses that he was looking for. but the CEO said she has apprehensions in interviewing me. 
straight to the point, she told me that the job is not for women who have obligations such as children. majority of their employees are single. the job will take so much of my time and energy and there would be several days in a row that i won’t go home because of too much workload. i actually knew about this even before i applied for the job. i experienced this when i was a college mass communications student. what she said next pinched the mother’s heart that’s in me…
it goes something like this:
“i am a mother too. i started this business when my kids are almost grown up. you have very young kids, 2 and 3. do you really want to deprive them of a normal life with their mother? you are now given a choice, if you work with us you will earn a whole lot of money and you will have fun. but one day, when you have a ton of money and you have achieved your dreams in terms of your career, you will see that your kids are grown and you weren’t there to watch the little things that are considered milestones of their childhood. no amount of money can buy back the time you lost with them. i don’t want my company and myself to be the reason that there are two sad children.”
i was surprised i didn’t cry. i usually get emotional over things like this. my usual response in situations like this is for me to be given 24 hours to think things over. but this time, it was different. i didn’t have to think twice. she’s absolutely right. above all things, what really is my priority? is it my dream? is it to swim in a pool of money? what really makes me happy? 
for the past 7 months, i’ve spent every single day with my children. and i’ve never been happier in my life. money is important and i know that love and principle wouldn’t feed my family, but i believe in myself. i’m a survivor. i get through the toughest times victoriously. i always have my cake and eat it too. 
i shook her hand and thanked her so much. she told me that if my kids are at least 7 or 8, and i still want to work with them, i’ll always be welcome. i left the building, went straight home and gave my two girls big hugs and kisses. i know i made the right decision. 
i’ve been rejected in jobs so many times within the past few weeks. i’ve also rejected so many job offers. but i know God has a plan. i was offered a normal day job by a new and growing company. i’ll give that a shot. i’ll take it from there. facebook, twitter, tumblr, blogspot and a whole lot of new stuff can still help me in pursuing my dream. maybe not earning from it, but at least doing it. 
the true meaning of sacrifice is when you give up your dreams, possibly for good, for the love of the people most important to you. 
yeah, yeah i know love yourself first, but ask your moms. they’ll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment