Thursday, March 24, 2011

Job Hunting Tip #2

Once again, let me say that having a job is an essential part if you want to become rich. Having your own businesses or investments will give you your millions but if you need financial stability, you have to have a job. If you don't have the money yet to build your own business or buy your own investments, then get a job first! Businesses, stocks, etc have seasons of ups and downs. But if you have a job, no matter what happens, whatever the situation of the economy, by law your employer will have to pay you. You can only stop working a day job once your businesses or investments are already stable, or if you have a bank account that is good enough and you're feeling secure your family will not go hungry.

I mentioned in another blog entry Money Machine Part 1 that the road to riches may only be reached by feeling, looking, talking and living rich. The same concept goes when job hunting for your perfect or dream job.

Feel, talk and look like you're perfect for the job
(even if you know that there are more suitable candidates than you)

Once again, it's all about the packaging. I'm not telling you to pretend that you know so much about a job when in fact you know very little or nothing at all. Let me share a few experiences:

For the past six years, I have worked for four different industries: BPO, hospitality, real estate and journalism. In the BPO industry, I've covered three different services: customer support, technical support and sales. I've worked for both American and Australian accounts. I've worked both day and night shifts. In the hospitality industry, I've worked for both Front Office and Sales/Reservations.

Getting the BPO job was easy. I was a fresh graduate when I started. The call center business was just beginning to boom. They were trying to get as many new hires as possible. I remember coming to the interview wearing a very formal business attire, with black stockings! There were even some applicants who thought I was the boss! That time I felt I was overdressed. It is very common to see applicants for call centers wearing jeans and a shirt or blouse. This is not right especially if you have no experience or if you think your skills are not enough! Just by dressing up the proper way, you are giving the impression that you are professional. You make your interviewer think that you can be a future boss. This is what they are looking for. People who will last a long time and with potential to be promoted. Thousands of people applying in call centers everyday doesn't mean we are given the right to take this for granted. Everyone gets noticed! Every single applicant gives their potential employers an impression. If you don't think your skills are enough, try your best to stand out.

I applied in a hotel with no experience at all with hospitality, tourism or even face-to-face customer service! Again, self confidence was the key. I made sure that the interviewer knew that I was sincere when I said I'm willing to learn and I do learn fast! I didn't even have any idea during that time what I was getting myself into, I didn't even know if I can learn hospitality in a short period of time. But I was determined, I eventually made it and I think I did quite well with my job.

I admit without shame that real estate is not a thing for me. I lasted in this industry for less than three months! I never made a sale. But how did I get accepted when I applied? How did I make my former bosses think I can do the job? I dressed well, I spoke well, I was honest. I spoke from the heart. I told them my dreams, my achievements and even my failures. I came into their office determined that by the time I leave that same day I already had a job offer. Once again, I did it.

By the time I was trying to pursue a career in journalism, it wasn't easy to convince companies that I am qualified because it's been more than five years since I graduated college. Even if I studied a great deal of journalism in college, they assume that by this time, I've already forgotten everything I learned in school. My writing experience was never professional until this year. How did I convince them to hire me? Pure confidence and nothing more. In my first writing job application, I didn't even have formal writing samples to present! I still got accepted.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm talking about being confident but please know how to differentiate that with just pure arrogance. Be careful in doing this. It is important that you do not give the wrong impression. I learned that the hard way, I was rejected in a few jobs in the past because I gave the arrogant impression rather than the confident impression even if I didn't mean it that way. One more thing, BE HONEST. Do not pretend about having certain skills or knowledge when you don't. You'll never know if you'll be put on the spot. That would just be super embarrassing.



Job Hunting Tip #1 was published right before this entry so you may want to check that out too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment