Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Job Hunting Tip #1

I'm back with another "Part 1". Job Hunting is such a general topic and will require such a huge space in this blog. I shall be dividing this into smaller parts to make sure my readers are still entertained.

Once again, I do not consider myself an expert in this topic. There are many blogs and websites offering tips, however, my difference is that I experienced this FIRST HAND and these are RECENT events. Meaning, this is not old school advice! If you follow these tips carefully, you will be led to the job of your dreams.

Before I continue, you may be asking why is the awesomemoneymachine writing about job hunting when people who usually advise on how to become truly rich with tons of money would recommend going on business. Well, I believe that there are more people like me who have obligations and in urgent need for financial stability. I agree that being an employee seldom provides a millionaire life, especially if you're far from the retirement age. But if you do not have money to start a business, you better get a job first. Soon, your money will be working for you.

Here are a few tips and experiences I'd like to share:


Do not stop applying until you find the perfect job. 

I graduated college 6 years ago and my resume already shows that I have a total of 6 companies listed in my work experience. On top of that, I have a few home based and part time jobs, professional and unprofessional listed there as well. This is not a good thing for most employers. I actually have a choice of not declaring some of the other companies I have worked for, like some applicants do, but I like it that way. I had  what I would consider valid reasons for leaving each one of them. I was never fired so why hide it? For each single job, I had a purpose, I learned new things so I have to be proud of all of them.

I just thought that if my first or second job was already the perfect job for me, I would have exerted more effort to keep the job no matter what the circumstances were. It's not true that there is a lack of jobs. There are plenty and you are free to check all of them out. Our generation is very lucky because most applications can be sent out online, and employers pre-screen your application before asking you to come for an interview. Saves you so much time and money!

When I am asked to go to a scheduled interview, I check on the location and other companies in the area so if I finish early I won't be wasting the rest of the day. You can always walk in and drop your resume. Not because you got rejected for a job in the morning, you'd have to dwell on that for the rest of the day. Some companies would also tell you they'd call you in 24 hours or in a week, but if they find a more suitable candidate, they don't really call. It's your job to follow up. In that case, you don't have any assurance. Don't waste your time waiting because it could be for nothing. You better start looking for another option. You can actually turn around the situation that instead of employers choosing you, you get to choose them. This is when you already have so many job offers in front of you. You now have a choice of which company you would like to work for and all other important things like the location, schedule and the salary offered!

If you have finally chosen a job and you would have to turn down other job offers, it is always nice to write them a letter. There will be times that you would have to do this in person, through the phone or even through SMS. But it is always better if you write a letter because you have a chance to double check on the things you would have to say. Make sure you don't sound rude or arrogant just because you did not choose their company, because it is always possible for your paths to cross again. One more thing, if you really like a job and a company but you're thinking of turning down their offer for some reason, ALWAYS TELL THEM WHY. Or simply ask them if you would like something else or something additional. They might just say yes. In all those times I asked, I got a YES.

Good luck to your job hunting and watch out for Job Hunting Tip #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment